The Alexander Technique helps millions of people across the world to naturally overcome:
- Muscle tension and stiffness
- Back, neck and joint pain
- Poor posture
- Breathing and vocal problems
- Anxiety and stress-related conditions
People use the Technique to:
- Improve performance and prevent injury in music, drama and sport
- Enhance business and presentation skills
- Develop ease and elegance in movement
- Support pregnancy and childbirth
- or simply because they want to change conditions that stop them enjoying a happy, healthy life.
What happens in a lesson?
Richard, your teacher will use gentle hands-on guidance and verbal explanations to help you find ease and balance within yourself in simple movements and everyday activities – such as sitting, standing, walking or bending.
Through experience and observation, you gain increased awareness enabling you to change long-standing habits and to function more efficiently.
In time, you will be able to use your new understanding and skill in more complex and demanding activities. You can bring awareness and poise to anything you do.
Part of the lesson may include you lying down in the classic Alexander Technique semi-supine position – allowing maximum support and relief for the back.
The Technique involves no specific exercises, requires no special equipment and can be practised wherever you are. It is suitable for people of all ages and levels of physical fitness. Pupils are requested to wear loose-fitting comfortable clothing (females should wear trousers) to aid free movement.
Fees: £60 for initial consultation (1 1/2 hours); £40 for subsequent lessons (45 minutes).